Sunday, October 2, 2011

Making the Move.

Alright, So here goes nothing.

It has been suggested that I start a blog to keep my people back home up to date on this spectacular adventure. (And yes, if you are reading this, I am claiming you as one of MY people.) I am a little apprehensive to do so as I severely lack storytelling skills. So all I ask is please don't stop loving me, as I am aware of this weakness.

WARNING: The following paragraph is a bit of background info for those of you who aren't aware of the reason for "The Big Move". That is fair warning as to not bore yourself with meaningless details and poor storytelling if it isn't necessary.

Game on.

Baking is my passion. My love for baking was sparked and refined by my incredible grandma, Alice Lee. Culinary school was always a dream of mine and the "plan" was to attend The Culinary Institute of America post Augusta High School. Well things don't always go as planned. After grandma's punch-in-the-gut death my senior year of high school, I wasn't ready to move to New York and leave my family, so I applied to K-State- her alma mater.  After 5 glorious years in Manhattan, a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management, a minor in Bakery Science, Business Administration, and Leadership Studies, experience baking at coffee shops and at Colbert Hills, numerous birthday cakes, cupcakes, and chocolate chip cookies, I am off to Montpelier, Vermont to attend The New England Culinary Institute for an Associates of Occupational Studies in Baking and Pastry Arts.

Blah.

So after investing in a wardrobe to brave the sub-zero temperatures, researching the benefits of snow tires, and indulging in some new ink, my fabulous parents and sister, Laura, accompanied me on the start of my journey. With 26 hours of driving and the most intense exam of my life complete, I tested out of 3-6 months of classes and a 6 month internship.

After the exam, the PLAN was to stay here and start my adventure. Plan. Splan. Bah. I decided to go back to Kansas with my parents for a week and a half to prevent emotional and psychological distress (dramatic? yes a bit. it's normal). So after my unexpected holiday, I am back up north and slowly adjusting to this new life. The first few days were a bit rough, but after some exploring and discovering a bit of familiarity, I am beyond ready to start class tomorrow!

                            A pretty little trail for a nice relaxing hike


Up First: Plated Desserts and the Art of Plate Presentation. 3 weeks, 4pm-8pm. Boom.


I hope it was tolerable and you return for more updates and food photo's! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment