Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Key to the Flagpole



The first week of sixth grade my english teacher told me that she needed me to go get "The key to the flagpole" from the eighth grade history teacher, Mr. Emmitt. So I went down to Mr. Emmitt's room and proceeded to ask him for the key, he smiles and says that Mr. Fetters had the key, I go onto Mr. Fetters room....I'm sure you can all see where this is going. THERE IS NO KEY TO THE FLAGPOLE. Just a sick joke they play on innocent new faces. Well, the way I felt at the beginning of this week was strikingly similar to the way I felt that day in sixth grade.

So Monday comes and it brings with it the start of this incredible culinary adventure, as well as a bit of chaos. I was assigned to attend two orientation sessions, one for students returning to NECI after their first internship and another for incoming students new to NECI. Well, to make a long story short, here is a bit of the chaos I encountered:

  • A full on sprint back to campus (up and down "mountains"), in my chef's whites, with my        backpack and knife kit, to ensure punctuality, just to find out I was told the wrong time to return. I made it back in plenty of time-with plenty of sweat beads to accompany me in meeting my new classmates. Awesome first impression, Hannah-the sweaty girl.
  • Literally going back and forth from the Admissions office to the orientation site FIVE times in search of answers to basic questions like: How do I get my email to work? Where do I get my ID card? How do I use my meal plan? Where is the fitness facility? When do I pick up the rest of my uniforms? Where is the key to the flagpole?!!
  • Not receiving the reading assignment because I was not included on any of my Chef's class rosters. 
  • MISSING MY FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL because three people, including the head of the baking and pastry department, told me that I didn't have class on Mondays. Do YOU have the key to the flagpole?!
Aside from the disorder and confusion of the first few days, the rest of the week was incredible! As I become more comfortable and familiar with a different kitchen, I am regaining some confidence and opening up to my three classmates and my chef instructor, Chef Matt. 

My first class is Plated Desserts and the Art of Plate Presentation, in production we work towards a dessert bar two nights a week. This week, we all contributed to the various components of the desserts that were chosen for us. Next week we'll have a blind basket, like in Chopped and we'll be responsible for our own dessert. Good thing I practiced hypothetical Chopped competitions with the roomie this summer!! 

So in order to counter the negative list above, I have compiled a list detailing the awesomeness that the week turned out to be:
  • I prepared three different pastry creams, mini carrot cakes, mini chocolate budino cakes, candied hazelnuts, scaled and sheeted crustata dough, scaled and shaped biscotti, and prepared french vanilla ice cream base. 
  • After feeling completely incompetent for a short while, I finally got a grasp on how to make paper piping cones. We learned how to pipe chocolate feuille's and script in chocolate. 
  • I plated the Baby Cake Trio for the first ever La Brioche Dessert Bar!
  • I learned how to spin ice cream and sorbet. We made apple cider sorbet and it was FANTASTIC...bahhhhhh!!!!
  • I purchased snow tires and had them installed---a surprisingly easy and affordable process!
  • Accidentally sent two letters without stamps. details details. One of them successfully arrived without postage, the other was returned. No worries, I was a week ahead, she will still receive it before her big birthday!
  • Four skype dates! Thank you Shelly Garcia, Tiffany Carter, Bailey Miller, and Curtis Schriever!
  • I finally received my ID card so I was able to eat off of my meal plan and workout!
  • I discovered where the doorbell is located when the florist delivered my AMAZING flowers from my friend. 
  • I walked approximately 28 miles to and from class. Boom, gotta stay fit.

Even though I never found the "key", I'd say week one was an overall success. 

3 comments:

  1. Hannah!!! This is AMAZING!!! You are awesome! I love all of the pictures you post and the food. Sounds like you had a tough start, but you are getting the hang of everything!! Good luck on the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always the sweaty girl, you just gotta WORK IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAN! You make my days brighter by reading this. I can just hear your voices telling me these exact stories and also your funny hand gestures :). SKYPE DATE SOON so I can make the next blog? :) love you-- Gene.

    ReplyDelete